Pattern Cutting (Special Purpose Award, Level 6)
This course is aimed at those interested in learning the art of pattern cutting and gaining the skills to cut and make clothes to their own shape and size. You will learn to draft a dress/bodice block to your own measurements, make fit adjustments and learn about pattern manipulations to create different garment styles. You will go from beginners to advanced level within 20 weeks.
On Completion of the course students will be able to:
- Confidently draft a dress / bodice pattern
- Understand and use the tools of the trade
- Manipulate patterns to create different garment styles
- Confidently use a domestic sewing machine
- Apply sewing skills to construct your garment
- Understand basic block and relevant information
- Select appropriate materials and trim to suite garment type
- Construct your garment using appropriate finishing.
Your outcome will be a completed dress/bodice pattern of your choice, to include seam allowances, annotations and all pattern markings, which you will construct.
There are no formal academic entry requirements for this programme.
Within your 20 weeks you will cut and sew the block in calico and learn to make fit adjustments. You will learn pattern manipulations to create a range of features including moving darts, turning darts into seams and adding flare. You will also learn how to create pleats- box pleats, inverted pleats, gathers, frills, yokes, facings and pockets you will also learn a very important part of pattern drafting, which is annotation and all pattern markings.
Continuous evaluation will take place with final evaluation and assessment on completion of programme. At the end of the 20 weeks, you should have designed, drafted and constructed your own garment.
Certificate in Pattern Cutting (Special Purpose Award, Level 6, 10 Credits).