Mathematics and Engineering Science (City & Guilds)
The application process for 2019 is now over. Please email your details to email@example.com if you would like to be added to the interest list for the next offering of this programme.
This unit enables the leaner to develop the skills in and understanding of mathematics and science to facilitate progression onto awards that require mathematics and science as core requirements.
This module may assist those with a trade or similar background who wish to progress to a level 6 or 7 programme of study in engineering by addressing their maths and Science skills and knowledge deficit. The programme is assessed through a series of coursework and assessments over the duration of the course and is designed to build confidence in the subject areas.
It is primarily aimed at those learners who feel that maths and science are not their strong points. It will allow learners to progress to higher education where a knowledge and understanding of practical engineering principles of mathematics and engineering science topics is required.
Leaving Certificate or equivalent qualification.
There are ten learning outcomes to this unit.
Mathematics: The learner will:
- Be able to perform calculations involving indices, logarithms and algebra
- Be able to perform calculations using trigonometry
- Be able to perform calculations using calculus
- Be able to perform calculations involving statistics
Science: The learner will:
- Be able to perform tests to determine stress, strain and elasticity of materials
- Be able to solve problems involving kinematics
- Be able to solve problems involving dynamics
- Be able to solve problems involving bending beams
- Be able to solve problems involving fluids
- Be able to demonstrate the effects of electromagnetism and alternating current
Students will be required to study outside of class time to successfully complete this module.
This unit will be assessed by an assignment containing centre devised practical tasks and short-answer questions provided by City & Guilds.