Electrical Technology (Bachelor of Engineering Degree, Level 7)
The Application Process for this degree programme has now closed for the 18-19 academic year. The application process will re-open in late Summer 2019 for September 2019 intake. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the interest list for next year and we will send you the relevant information once the application process is open.
The Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Technology (Level 7) is an add-on ordinary degree, specifically designed for those with a level 6 qualification in a cognate electrical field, such as:
- Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Craft-Electrical (or equivalent trade) with a merit; or a pass with two year’s post qualification experience.
- National or Higher Certificate in Engineering or Technology with specialisation in Electrical, Electronic, Electromechanical or Industrial Engineering, or equivalent, at Pass level. (HETAC/FETAC Level 6 Qualification).
A candidate should also have relevant experience in a technical role in the electrical services or industrial sector.
The aim of this programme is to provide a progression route in the area of Electrical Technology, for qualified advanced craft−persons and national/higher certificate holders with qualifications at, or equivalent, to level 6 on the NQAI framework. The Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Technology seeks to provide a programme that is learner−centred in terms of flexibility of quantity, duration, timing and pace of study.
The course aims to provide each learner with the following:
- The higher technological skills relevant to the design of electrical engineering systems in industry.
- Further education that upgrades the learner’s skills and strengthens the learner’s life and working
- The opportunity to undertake a substantial work-based project or design study that will benefit
- his/her employer.
- A wide choice of elective modules to enable the learner customise the programme in line with
- his/her personal and vocational development.
- An educational experience at Ordinary Degree level which will encourage the development of
- higher technical skills, judgement, attitudes and personal attributes that will benefit the graduate.
- Upon completion the learner will be a fully rounded graduate; intellectually competent to self-direct their
- learning and fully empowered to continue their professional development.
Students taking this degree programme, will need to complete 11 modules, including a work-based project in order to complete your 60 credits. Each module is 12 weeks in duration, one evening per week. We offer a range of modules in semester 1 (September to December) and in semester 2 (January to May) each academic year. All modules (except for the Project) are classroom based and take place on the LIT Campus. Minimum of 70% attendance for each module is required to pass, in addition to passing the exam element. Please note that the Exams for this course will take place during daytime hours (i.e. between the hours of 9am and 6pm)
The core modules of the degree, which are compulsory for all students are as follows;
- Work Based Learning Project
- Electrical Testing and Certification
- Electrical Planning and Layout
- Project Management
Students can choose the other 6 elective modules from the modules that we offer each semester.
Each module costs €575 (Subject to Change), including exam fee.
On average, students would complete 2 modules per semester, but it is entirely at the discretion of each student how many modules they wish to register for each semester.