Construction Health & Safety (Bachelor of Science, Level 7)
Please note that this is an INTENSIVE, 90% online course with Saturday tutorials in LIT Moylish, Limerick required approx. every 4th week. Online lectures Monday – Friday with a “watch back” option. The programme will run over one year (January 2020 to December 2020)
The aim of this programme is to give the students an academically challenging educational experience that will enable them to develop the knowledge base, professional attitudes, leadership skills, commercial awareness and the skills necessary for the management of health and safety and its associated technologies to serve both the construction industry and society. The programme also aims to provide the student with the opportunity to develop skills for lifelong learning.
To achieve this aim, the following objectives have been set:
- Acquisition of the skills necessary for the management of health and safety and its associated technologies.
- Contribute to the construction process in a manner that sustains and enhances both the natural and the built environments by improving the culture of safety and imbedding an understanding and appreciation of its value.
- The development of individual initiative, to encourage an imaginative approach to the solution of problems and to promote leadership qualities, as well as encouraging students to be successful team members and to communicate effectively.
- The provision of a rigorous study of a broadly based core of modules.
- The establishment of a thorough understanding of construction health and safety issues at design and site level with particular reference to site practice, design office practice, quality, safety and value for money.
- The cultivation of a practical understanding of the construction industry and of the management of organisations and projects, having regard to the importance of buildings to clients, users and the wider community.
Upon completion the student will be a fully rounded graduate; intellectually competent to self direct their learning and fully empowered to continue their professional development.
Applicants must satisfy a minimum entry requirement of a Higher Certificate (Level 6) in a relevant field or an equivalent qualification to a Higher Certificate (Level 6) with appropriate prerequisite subjects and/or relevant life and work experience. Applicants may also be eligible for entry according to LIT’s Recognition of Prior Learning procedures.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE: Applicants who do not have English as their first language must ensure they satisfy English Language requirements. For entry to undergraduate courses, a minimum score of 5.5 in an IELTS exam is required. For postgraduate courses, a minimum of 6.0 is required. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their English proficiency meets these requirements.
Sustainable Building Services 2
Construction Law and Supply Chain Management
Advanced Construction IT
Legislation and Safety Management
H&S Project Evaluation and Development
Sustainable Construction Technology
Assessment will be part continuous assessment and part end of module exam. Please note that the Exams for this course will take place weekdays, during daytime hours i.e. between the hours of 9am and 6pm (TBC)
Bachelor of Science in Construction Health and Safety (Level 7)
How to Apply
“Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for employability, inclusion and learning 2014-2020.”