Springboard+ complements the core State-funded education and training system and is one of a number of initiatives designed to support people back into employment and to build the supply of skilled graduates for vacancies arising across key sectors of the economy. It forms part of the Government’s Action Plan for Jobs, Action Plan for Education and the National Skills Strategy, which aims to increase the number of people in employment to 2.1m by 2020. Springboard began in 2011 as part of the Government’s Jobs Initiative. It has provided free upskilling in higher education in areas of identified skills need, with a particular emphasis on upskilling of people who are unemployed.
Springboard also provides opportunities for workforce development to enhance the skill levels of those already in employment; to increase the national rate of enragement in Life Long Learning; to reskill those whose current occupation may be at risk from technological and other developments.
The target applicants identified for Springboard+ 2018 are:
1. Those in receipt of an eligible payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection:
· Those who already hold a National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) award at level 5 or 6 or equivalent, with a previous history of employment.
· Those with a previous history of employment who already hold a higher level qualification at NFQ levels 6 to 9, but who may require additional up-skilling or re-skilling in order to re-enter employment.
2. Previously self-employed people
· Those at all qualifications level who may require new qualifications to return to self-employment or to enter employment.
· Those who already hold an NFQ award at level 5 or 6 or equivalent, with a previous history of employment.
· Those with a previous history of employment who already hold a higher level qualification at NFQ levels 6 to 9, who may require additional up-skilling or re-skilling in order to re enter employment.
4. Those in employment
· Those who wish to up-skill or re-skill, to meet required skill needs across a range of sectors.
Places will be provided free of charge to those participants from categories 1-3 above. Level 6 courses are free to all eligible participants. In the case of category 4, level 6 courses remain free, but a contribution of 10% of the cost of the place will be collected by the provider for level 7-9 courses, with the HEA funding 90% of the course fee. This contribution can be paid by the participant or the employer. Please refer to individual course pages for pricing details.
LIT has been successful in getting Springboard+ funding for the programmes listed below for the 2018-2019 academic year. Only Programmes which are commencing in Semester 1 are currently open for application:
Higher Diploma in Computing in Creative Multimedia Programming (Level 8)
Higher Diploma in Software Development – Full Time Option (Level 8)
Higher Diploma in Software Development – Part Time Option (Level 8)
Higher Diploma in Arts in Food Management Innovation (Level 8)
Certificate in 3D Animation (Special Purpose Award, Level 9)
Certificate in Enterprise Solutions Development (Special Purpose Award, Level 8)
Certificate in Aircraft Leasing (Special Purpose Award, Level 7)
Certificate in Near Zero Energy Buildings (Special Purpose Award, Level 6)
Certificate in Building Information Modelling (BIM) with Revit MEP (Special Purpose Award, Level 6)
|Course Name||Department||Campus||Status||Start Date(s)|
|3D Animation and VFX for Film and TV (Special Purpose Award Certificate, Level 9)||Art & Design||LIT Clonmel||Course Opening Soon||15/02/2019
|Aircraft Technical Services (Special Purpose Award, Level 7)||Mechanical & Automobile Engineering||Shannon|
|Building Information Modelling with Revit MEP (Special Purpose Award Certificate, Level 6)||Built Environment||LIT Moylish||Apply Now (Springboard)||29/01/2019
|Creative Multimedia Programming (Level 8 Higher Diploma)||Information Technology||LIT Moylish||18/09/2018
|Enterprise Solutions Development (Certificate – Minor Award)||Information Technology||LIT Moylish||Apply Now (Springboard)|
|Food Management and Innovation (Higher Diploma in Arts, Level 8)||Food Science & Tourism||LIT Moylish||Apply Now (Springboard)|
|Near Zero Energy Buildings (Special Purpose Award Certificate, Level 6)||Flexible Learning||Online||01/10/2018
|Software Development (Level 8 Higher Diploma)||Information Technology||LIT Moylish||11/09/2018