Manufacturing & Operations Engineering (BEng Manufacturing Technology Module)
To provide the learner with a broad knowledge of modern Operations and Manufacturing engineering/management as it applies to a variety of businesses and organisations by providing a logical path through the activities of Operations Engineering and its strategic context. Having successfully completed this module, the learner will be able to:
- Outline Manufacturing & Operations Engineering functions and the importance of Operations Engineering Strategy in Product and Service design, Process Technology and Quality Control. Recognise and Define Manufacturing types and layouts and describe how to balance a line.
- Explain Purchasing, Logistics and Supply Chain Management & Optimisation.
- Explain various Operations strategies such as Planning and Inventory control.
- Summarise and explain Lean philosophy, Project Planning and ERP/MRP in the context of Operations Management.
- Employ tools and techniques and calculations to demonstrate understanding and application of the Manufacturing Engineering.
Students not registered on the Degree receive an LIT Subject Certificate on successful completion of the module. Students registered for the Degree will receive ECTS credits for each group of modules successfully completed. Accumulation of 60 credits will lead to the Degree Award.
Students not registered on the Degree may, upon request, receive an LIT Subject Certificate (Level 7, 5 Credits) on successful completion of the module. Students registered for the Degree will receive ECTS credits for each group of modules successfully completed. Accumulation of 60 credits will lead to the Degree Award.
Note: This module may be completed as a stand-alone course, or it may be completed by eligible participants for credit towards the award of Bachelor of Engineering in Manufacturing Technology (Level 7).