Foundation Programme – Transition to Higher Education
Always wanted to go to college but didn’t know where to start….
Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) has developed a Foundation Level programme (called the Certificate in Transition to Higher Education) aimed at those who wish to experience Third Level Education and develop their skills and knowledge prior to starting a full Degree programme.
This is a Foundation preparation course providing a pathway for students to gain experience of Third Level Education and potentially progress to entry onto LITs certificate/degree programmes.
The aims of the programme are:
- To raise awareness of the supports offered to mature students at third level.
- This course will enable under represented-groups within the community to maximise their potential and make a successful transition to higher education.
- It will build on prior learning and increase the student’s self-confidence and abilities on their path to third level education.
- To provide a ‘taster’ for third level education.
- To provide students with the knowledge and skills required for third level education
This programme is open to anyone who is interested in entering into or returning to Higher Education.
Students will be supported, at the end of their studies on this programme, to identify a chosen discipline and consider progression to the range of full-time undergraduate programmes at Level 6/7 and 8 within LIT. Minimum entry requirements to these full-time programmes will apply.
The programme consists of four (5 credit) modules:
- Computer Applications – this module runs in Semester 1 (September- December).
- Personal Development – this module runs in Semester 1 (September- December).
- Learning and Academic Skills Development- this module runs in Semester 2 (January – May).
- Mathematics- this module runs in Semester 2 (January – May).
Programme delivery and assessment will include a range of lectures, tutorials, group projects and assignments. This structure is based on providing students with the relevant study skills, IT skills and educational guidance needed in order to pursue a third level degree programme.
On successful completion of the programme the student will receive a Special Purpose Award (20 Credits), Certificate at Level 6.
- For students who may wish to progress to a full-time programme of study at LIT, please note that this Institute welcomes mature students and will accept applications from persons of mature years (i.e. 23 years of age on 1st January for admission in September). Please see www.lit.ie/Admissions/Mature.aspx for further detail.