Computer Aided Manufacturing of Materials (CAD/CAM/CNC) (City & Guilds)
The purpose of this unit is to enable learners to develop an understanding of modern CAM and CNC machining systems, the importance of information links between CAD product data and manufacturing data, the role of process planning in manufacturing and the types of process planning available. This programme covers CNC machining using CAM technologies in areas such as 2.5D Milling including trochoidal milling, 3D roughing, 3D surface machining, 5-axis milling, turning and mill/turn.
At the end of this module the learner will:
· understand the use of automation in modern machining systems
· understand the information links between Computer Aided Machining and manufacturing systems
· understand process planning for manufacture
· know how to produce CNC part-programs and transfer to the CNC controller
· be able to produce parts using CAD CAM software and CNC milling and turning machine
a) Knowledge and use of 3D solid-modelling packages such as Solidworks or Inventor.
b) Experience in the use of CNC machining programming
c) Experience in a manufacturing environment