Application and Registration
Due to the fact that the Department of Flexible Learning deals with a range of programmes across all Academic Departments and also manages programmes funded externally e.g. Springboard there are a number of ways in which you can apply and register for your programme.
Some programmes will require you to apply through an external website e.g. Springboardcourses.ie, some will use LITs’ on-line application system and some will require you to complete a registration/application form and submit it to the Flexible Learning Department. This section outlines the steps and processes involved.
Frequently Asked Questions
Programmes which have specific entry requirements and may for example include the need for an interview would normally require you to complete an application form. Examples might include a Masters/Postgraduate programme or programmes where a specific skill or competence is required before starting the programme. The application form is reviewed by a relevant member of staff and the applicant is responded to.
Programmes which have straight forward entry requirements as outlined in the course description normally simply involve a registration form being completed.
Details of how to apply for your relevant programme are provided on each course page. The options available include:
- Apply On-line: Some of LITs programme allow you to Apply on-line using LITs on-line application system. Click the relevant tab on the course page and follow the instructions provided.
- Email: Download and complete the Application/Registration Form for the relevant course from the course page and email it to either FLLimerick@lit.ie (if your programme is based on our Moylish or Clare St Campuses) or FLTipperary@lit.ie (if your programme is based on our Thurles or Clonmel Campus).
- In Person: Download and complete the Application/Registration Form for the relevant course from the course page and bring it to our offices in Moylish or Thurles. Or call to our offices and complete one of the forms on site.
- By Post: Download and complete the Application/Registration Form for the relevant course from the course page and pst it to our offices in Moylish or Thurles.
Application/Registration cannot be completed over the phone.
Make sure you complete all sections of your application form and attach all relevant information as outlined on the form.
You can get your application/registration form in the following ways
- Search for your programme of study using the Search Function at flexiblelearning.lit.ie, go to the course page and download the form for there
- Call to the Flexible Learning Offices in the Moylish or Thurles campus and ask for a form
For programmes that start in September Applications/Registrations normally open in June. For programmes that start in January Applications/Registrations normally open in November.
If a programme is full to capacity, a waiting list will be established, based either on the order in which registrations are received after the programme has full registration, or on the most suitable candidates. How waiting lists are created is dependent on the nature of the programme and the entry requirements of the programme. As places become available, offers will be made in order from the waiting list, and on the basis that fees are paid in full. In order to be completely fair to those on a waiting list, the integrity of these lists will be maintained without exception.
Springboard programme applications are managed through a central website, www.springboardcourses.ie . Go to this website, search for your programme of study and complete the relevant information. The application, once complete, will be directed to LIT and we will then review it and, if you meet the relevant entry requirements, offer you a place on the programme. You must accept the offer of a place on the programme via the Springboard portal for your place on the programme to be confirmed.
Fees, Payments, Withdrawals
Payment can be made by Credit/Debit Card or Bank Draft/Cheque/Postal Order. Please note that for security reasons, we are unable to accept cash payments.
- By Cheque
If you wish to pay by cheque, bank draft or postal order, please make payable to Limerick Institute of Technology and submit with your completed registration form to the Flexible Learning Office.
- By Bank Giro
To pay by cash, a bank giro form will be issued to you by the Institute which must be paid through a bank. Bank giro forms are issued to prospective learners during registration sessions, or on receipt of your postal registration.
- By Credit/Debit Card
Payment by credit or debit card is possible either in person during the Information and Registration sessions or when registering online. If you are registering by post and wish to pay by credit or laser card, simply complete the relevant section of the Registration Form
- Invoice to company
Where fees are being paid by an employer or other third party, a letter or email of undertaking from the employer/ third party must be submitted with your registration. Invoices will only be issued to employers/third parties when this letter of undertaking is provided.
Payment of programme fees must be received from the employer prior to commencement of the programme. In the event that invoices have not been paid prior to the commencement of a programme, the student will be required to pay the fee and subsequently claim it back from his/her employer.
All programme fees must be paid in full upon registration. Receipts will be issued to students or employer/third party upon payment of fees.
An individual Sponsorship Agreement form must be fully completed and returned to the Flexible Learning Office.
Fees are specific to each programme of study and can be seen under the course content pages. Search for your programme using the Search function at flexiblelearning.lit.ie and the course fees are listed on the right hand side. Further detail is also available under the “What are the course fees” tab.
All programme fees must be paid upon registration. This includes if you are being sponsored by a company or other body. LIT must have an agreement in place that course fees will be paid by the supporting body.
Firstly you must complete a Withdrawal Form which is available here.
There are a number of scenarios in which a student might withdraw from the programme and the following will normally apply
- In the event that a student withdraws from a programme before the commencement date, a refund of 100% of the programme fee will be issued. This is subject to the student informing the Flexible Learning Office of their intention to withdraw before the commencement date of the programme.
- In the event that a learner withdraws from a programme after the commencement date the following rules apply:
- For programmes of up to and including 12 weeks duration, the student must complete and submit a withdrawal form to the Flexible Learning Office within two weeks of the commencement date of the programme. Subject to all requirements being met, 70% of the programme fee will be issued. Thereafter, no refunds will be processed.
- For programmes longer than 12 weeks in duration, the student must complete and submit a withdrawal form to the Flexible Learning Office within four weeks of the commencement date of the programme. Subject to all requirements being met, 70% of the programme fee will be issued. Thereafter, no refunds will be processed.
- If the requirements outlined above are not met, no refund will be processed.
Provision of all programmes is subject to sufficient numbers being registered on programmes and the continuation of a multi-year programme is dependent on a sufficient numbers being registered in each year. In the event that a programme is cancelled by LIT, for any reason, a refund of 100% of the programme fee will be issued.
All refunds will only be processed through IBB transfer after completion of a refund of fees form.
Forms You Might need
- General Application Form
- Withdrawal Form
- Refund of Fees Form
- Springboard Withdrawal Form
- Springboard letter of attendance request
- Letter of attendance request