Application and Registration
Due to the fact that the Department of Flexible Learning deals with a range of programmes across all Academic Departments and also manages programmes funded externally e.g. Springboard there are a number of ways in which you can apply and register for your programme.
Some programmes will require you to apply through an external website e.g. Springboardcourses.ie, some will use LITs’ on-line application system and some will require you to complete a registration/application form and submit it to the Flexible Learning Department. This section outlines the steps and processes involved.
Frequently Asked Questions
Programmes which have specific entry requirements and may for example include the need for an interview would normally require you to complete an application form. Examples might include a Masters/Postgraduate programme or programmes where a specific skill or competence is required before starting the programme. The application form is reviewed by a relevant member of staff and the applicant is responded to.
Programmes which have straight forward entry requirements as outlined in the course description normally simply involve a registration form being completed.
Details of how to apply for your relevant programme are provided on each course page. The options available include:
- Apply On-line: Some of LITs programme allow you to Apply on-line using LITs on-line application system. Click the relevant tab on the course page and follow the instructions provided.
- Email: Download and complete the Application/Registration Form for the relevant course from the course page and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Person: Download and complete the Application/Registration Form for the relevant course from the course page and bring it to our offices in Moylish or Thurles. Or call to our offices and complete one of the forms on site.
- By Post: Download and complete the Application/Registration Form for the relevant course from the course page and post it to our offices in Moylish or Thurles.
Application/Registration cannot be completed over the phone.
Make sure you complete all sections of your application form and attach all relevant information as outlined on the form.
You can get your application/registration form in the following ways
- Search for your programme of study using the Search Function at flexiblelearning.lit.ie, go to the course page and download the form for there
- Call to the Flexible Learning Offices in the Moylish or Thurles campus and ask for a form
For programmes that start in September Applications/Registrations normally open in June. For programmes that start in January Applications/Registrations normally open in November.
If a programme is full to capacity, a waiting list will be established, based either on the order in which registrations are received after the programme has full registration, or on the most suitable candidates. How waiting lists are created is dependent on the nature of the programme and the entry requirements of the programme. As places become available, offers will be made in order from the waiting list, and on the basis that fees are paid in full. In order to be completely fair to those on a waiting list, the integrity of these lists will be maintained without exception.
Springboard programme applications are managed through a central website, www.springboardcourses.ie . Go to this website, search for your programme of study and complete the relevant information. The application, once complete, will be directed to LIT and we will then review it and, if you meet the relevant entry requirements, offer you a place on the programme. You must accept the offer of a place on the programme via the Springboard portal for your place on the programme to be confirmed.
Fees, Payments, Withdrawals
FLEXIBLE LEARNING FEE PAYMENT METHODS
Once a student has been accepted to a programme of study through Flexible Learning and has been fully registered and issued with an LIT Student Number*, the fee can be paid using one of the methods outlined below:
1: Card Payment
Payment by credit/debit card is possible either in person at the Flexible Learning Office or your payment can be processed by telephone. To pay by card over the phone, simply contact the Flexible Learning office directly at 061 293802 or email us at email@example.com for a call back.
2: Cheque/Bank Draft/Postal Order
Cheques, Bank Drafts and Postal Orders should be made payable to Limerick Institute of Technology and submitted to the Flexible Learning Office, Limerick Institute of Technology, Moylish Park, Limerick. Please ensure that you write your name, LIT Student Number and programme of study on the back, in order that we match the payment with your registration details correctly.
- Electronic Bank Transfer
Please ensure that your Student Number is referenced on the payment.
Account Name: Limerick Institute of Technology, Limerick
Bank Name: Allied Irish Bank, 106 O’Connell Street, Limerick
IBAN: IE25 AIBK 935247 77751246
Account No: 77751246
Sort Code: 93 52 47
- Sponsor Invoice
If you are being sponsored by your employer or other third party, you must request a Sponsorship Agreement Form from the Flexible Learning Office. Completed Sponsorship Agreement Forms should be returned to the Flexible Learning Office, either by post or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that Sponsorship Agreement Forms must be completed and returned before the commencement date of the programme. Once the Sponsorship Agreement Form has been submitted to the Flexible Learning Office, our Grants & Fees Office will issue an invoice directly to the sponsor.
- Instalment Plan
Instalment plans are available for students completing programmes of study for which the fees are €500 or higher. If your programme of study meets this criteria and you are interested in setting up an instalment plan, please contact the Grants & Fees office of LIT, to set-up an agreed, signed instalment plan. The Grants & Fees Office can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by telephone at 061 293468. Please note that Instalment Plans must be in place before the commencement date of the programme.
Please note that for security reasons, we are unable to accept cash payments under any circumstances.
*Certain programmes will require an applicant to pay a deposit before they can be registered
An individual Sponsorship Agreement form must be fully completed and returned to the Flexible Learning Office.
Fees are specific to each programme of study and can be seen under the course content pages. Search for your programme using the Search function at flexiblelearning.lit.ie and the course fees are listed on the right hand side. Further detail is also available under the “What are the course fees” tab.
All programme fees must be paid upon registration or an agreed instalment plan signed an in place before the course starts, with at least one payment made. This includes if you are being sponsored by a company or other body. LIT must have an agreement in place that course fees will be paid by the supporting body.
Firstly you must complete a Withdrawal Form which is available here.
Students who wish to withdraw from a Flexible Learning Programme of study, must do so officially by completing a withdrawal form, available upon request from the Department of Flexible Learning in Limerick or Thurles as appropriate.
Our policy in relation to the refunding of programme fees, is as follows:
- In the event, that a programme is cancelled by LIT for any reason, a refund of 100% of the payment, including the*booking fee (where applicable) will be issued
- In the event, that a student withdraws from a programme before the commencement date, a refund of 100% of the programme fee less the *booking fee (where applicable) will be issued. This is subject to the student informing the Department of Flexible Learning of their intention to withdraw, in writing, before the commencement date of the programme and presuming the student has paid their fees in full.
- In the event that a student withdraws from a programme after the commencement date has passed, the following rules will apply:
- For programmes with a duration of less than 10 weeks, no refunds will apply from the date the programme commences.
- For programmes of up to and including 12 weeks’ duration, the student must complete and submit a withdrawal form to the Department of Flexible Learning within two weeks of the commencement date of the programme. Subject to all requirements being met, 70% of the programme fee less the *booking fee (where applicable), will be issued. Thereafter, no refunds will be processed.
- For programmes longer than 12 weeks in duration, the student must complete and submit a withdrawal form to the Department of Flexible Learning within four weeks of the commencement date of the programme. Subject to all requirements being met, 70% of the programme fee less the *booking fee (where applicable), will be issued. Thereafter, no refunds will be processed.
If the requirements outlined above are not met, no refund will be processed.
Please note that the policy outlined above applies to all students, regardless of the payment method used. Students availing of instalment plans will owe any outstanding payments if they fall outside the time period for a refund.
In extenuating circumstances such as illness, bereavement or exceptional work or personal commitments, students may appeal directly in writing to the Head of Department, Flexible Learning for a refund of fees paid, less the *booking fee (where applicable). Appeals are considered on a case-by-case basis. It is in this regard, that applicants are requested prior to enrolling, to inform themselves of the various requirements of the programme and to contact the programme leader for guidance on the programme suitability
There are certain Flexible Learning programmes within LIT, that will require the payment of a booking fee of 10% of the total programme fee, in order to secure a place on the programme. Please note, that the requirement of a booking deposit will be clearly outlined in the programme description under “Course Fees”. This booking fee is non-refundable (except where a programme is cancelled by LIT) and is credited against the programme fees upon registering as a student. Payment is due within two weeks of the receipt of a formal offer of a place, and can be made by credit/debit card by telephoning the appropriate Flexible Learning Office on (0504) 28112. If the booking fee is not paid within this timeframe, applicants will not be registered on their chosen programme.
Provision of all programmes is subject to sufficient numbers being registered on programmes and the continuation of a multi-year programme is dependent on a sufficient numbers being registered in each year. In the event that a programme is cancelled by LIT, for any reason, a refund of 100% of the programme fee will be issued.
All refunds will only be processed through IBB transfer after completion of a refund of fees form.